When it comes to making broth, chicken bones are a great choice.
If you are wondering where to buy chicken bones, look no further than this article.
We will share some tips about choosing the best chicken bones and where to buy this economical ingredient on the market.
Let’s check it out!
What are chicken bones?
Simply, chicken bones are just all the bones from different parts of the chicken.
The bones usually contain no or just a little meat stick around the bones, however, chicken bones have a lot of nutritional value as well as flavors.
Chicken bones are usually used to make broth by simmering them for hours under low heat.
The broth is loaded with many essential nutrients and minerals like calcium and collagen which not only give the body to the liquid but also play an important role in our immune and digestive systems.
The best part about chicken bones is that they are very inexpensive so that you can even buy them in bulk to store in the freezer and use later without breaking your wallet.
In this case, a proper and wise storing method is crucial to retain their nutrients and flavors.
How many calories are in chicken bones?
In contrast to many people’s misconception about chicken bones that they are useless and tasteless without providing us any energy, chicken bones are actually high in calories.
- Where To Buy Chicken Bacon Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
- 5 Best Side Dishes For Chicken Scarpariello
- What To Serve With Jerk Chicken? 5 Things To Serve With Jerk Chicken
- Where To Buy Chicken Oyster Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
- Where To Buy Chicken Back Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
A serving size of 0.3 cups (or 40 grams) of chicken bones will provide 160 calories, so a pot of chicken broth from chicken bones will be pretty high in calories.
Chicken bones are also a rich source of protein, calcium, phosphorus, iron, and gelatin, which will benefit our health in different ways.
How to choose the best chicken bones?
Chicken bones are inexpensive, but it doesn’t mean you should buy a bulk order of chicken bones without choosing it carefully.
Good chicken bones will result in a delicious broth, therefore, keep your eyes on these bones when shopping for them:
1. Look at the color of the bones
When shopping for chicken bones make sure that they are clean and free from any kind of bacteria or dirt.
You don’t want anything in your stock making people sick.
The bones should be light tan or white color.
Avoid buying chicken bones that have some weird grey or black spots, or brittle.
2. Smell the bones to ensure that there is no spoiled odor
Normally, raw chicken bones don’t have any special or strong odor, they are almost tasteless when not cooked, but turn out to be very flavorful after being simmered for a long period of time.
- 7 Best Kinds Of Vegetables To Serve With Chicken Chili
- 7 Best Marinades For Chicken Fajitas: The Secret To Making The Perfect Chicken Fajitas
- What To Serve With Chicken Supreme? 6 Amazing Sides To Accompany Chicken Supreme
- 5 Easy But Mouth-watering Side Dishes To Pair With Your Harissa Chicken
- Where To Buy Kfi Butter Chicken Sauce Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
However, if you notice there is a weird and unpleasant odor from those chicken bones, you better say goodbye to them because they might be improperly stored long ago.
3. Look for meaty bones if possible
Chicken bones are usually packaged after the meat is removed.
However, there is usually a bit of meat on the bones, which will add more flavor to your broth.
Buying meaty bones will be a saving way that can offer both meat and broth in one dish.
Where to buy chicken bones?
Chicken bones are easy to buy, and sometimes you can even get them for free.
Look for this ingredient in the following places:
1. Local butcher
At a local butcher shop, you can collect a lot of fresh bones right after they debone other meat cuts.
If you know the butcher, you can even get these chicken bones for free.
If not, don’t worry, chicken bones are one of the cheapest cooking ingredients on the market.
2. Grocery store or supermarket
- 4 Perfect Chicken Crepes’ Side Dishes For A Tasty, Healthy Meal!
- Why Sous Vide Chicken Is Rubbery?
- Where To Buy Hormone Free Chicken Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
- Where To Buy Chicken Soup Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
- What To Serve With Buffalo Chicken Chili? 5 Buffalo Chicken Chili’s Side Dish Recipes That Are Worth Trying
You can also find chicken bones available in a grocery store or supermarket.
Normally, they are kept in the freezer in large quantities.
Make sure you know the origin of these chicken bones by asking the sellers and the package should be sealed tightly to avoid freezer burn.
We hope this article has helped you learn more about the importance of chicken bones in making broth and for our health.
If you are planning to buy some, don’t forget to apply our tips to choose the best chicken bones and head to the aforementioned suggested places to check for their availability.
Now it’s time for shopping!
As a affiliate, we may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases if you click to Amazon from our site & choose make a purchase. Last update on 2022-08-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API