The best low-carb substitutes for the cream of chicken soup below can help your meals taste more delicious while still being friendly with your keto diet.
Let’s grab some information about your regular cream of chicken soup and see what you can replace it with something lower in carbohydrate in this post.
What is a cream of chicken soup?
A cream of chicken soup, as the name implies, is a soup that has a creamy texture.
It is made from chicken broth, butter, flour, milk, spices, and/or herbs.
This easy and delicious soup is perfect for dinner and will be sure to wow the whole family with its rich flavor.
There is not a fixed recipe on how much each ingredient is used in cream of chicken soup because some people who prefer their soups to be thicker will add more butter, cream, and flour, while others enjoy more chicken broth and milk for a thinner or even watery liquid.
Cream of chicken soup can be made at home from easy-to-find ingredients.
Otherwise, if you don’t have time to make this dish from scratch, there are a lot of brands out there offering processed cream of chicken soup that is often sold in a tin can.
This dish can be eaten on its own as a hearty meal or used as a base for many other dishes, including soups, stews, or baked recipes like casseroles.
Can you substitute cream of chicken soup in cooking recipes?
Of course, we can substitute cream of chicken soup because it is not always that this cooking item is available in our kitchen.
Cream of chicken soup can be made from scratch, but this process might take time.
- Where To Buy Chicken Bouillon Cubes Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
- What To Serve With Mississippi Chicken? 6 Side Dishes To Elevate Your Mississippi Chicken
- Frozen Chicken Smells Like Eggs: Is The Eggy Smell In Your Frozen Chicken A Sign Of Spoilage?
- 6 Best Side Dishes To Serve With Fancy Pants Chicken
- Why Sous Vide Chicken Is Rubbery?
Especially when you have some unexpected guests visiting your house, you won’t have enough time to prepare a delicious cream of chicken soup for your casseroles.
When it comes to canned cream of chicken soup, chances are your favorite brand runs out of stock sometimes, or you live far away from a grocery store and it will also take a while to get there or wait for the delivery.
This is when we should look for other available options that can work as an alternative for this classic.
What low-carb substitutes can be used to replace the cream of chicken soup?
Although there are various substitutes for the cream of chicken soup, if you are on a keto diet, you still need to find a low-carb replacement that will work well on your diet.
Don’t worry, our list below will suggest you some alternatives and recipes for keto-friendly cream of chicken soup:
1. Make your own keto-friendly cream of chicken soup
The easiest way to make sure your cream of chicken soup is totally friendly with your keto diet is to make it from scratch.
To reduce or remove the carb content, what you need to do is to substitute carb ingredients.
Therefore, instead of using regular wheat flour, you will need a THM baking blend.
If you cannot find a THM baking blend, replace it with a mixture of coconut flour and almond flour.
- What To Serve With Chicken Coq Au Vin? 7 Best Side Dishes To Serve With Chicken Coq Au Vin
- What To Serve With Chicken Noodle Casserole? 6 Delicious Side Dishes For A Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 4 Perfect Chicken Crepes’ Side Dishes For A Tasty, Healthy Meal!
- 8 Easy Side Dishes To Spice Up Your Chicken French
- Where To Buy Freeze Dried Chicken Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
To make your soup even lower in carb, you can also use unsalted butter, or coconut oil, and heavy cream.
Other ingredients like chicken stock or chicken broth with spices are kept the same.
With this recipe, you can have a low-carb cream of chicken soup to enjoy without worrying about messing up your diet.
2. Plain Greek yogurt
Another ingredient that can work as a low-carb substitute for cream of chicken soup is plain Greek yogurt.
Don’t worry that Greek yogurt still contains a certain amount of carbs.
A keto diet is meant to keep your carbohydrate intake to less than 30 grams per day, and plain Greek yogurt only has a little carb at all.
Moreover, this option is also very beneficial to our health, as well as provides a similar texture like cream of chicken soup.
3. Full fat sour cream
Full fat sour cream can be used to alternate cream of chicken soup if you want to cut down the carb.
- 6 Delicious Sauces To Serve With Chicken Cordon Bleu
- What To Serve With Chicken Pasta Bake? 6 Best Side Dishes To Serve With Chicken Pasta Bake
- What To Serve With Chicken And Shrimp Kabobs? 5 Best Side Dishes To Go With Chicken And Shrimp Kabobs
- 6 Appetizing Salads To Accompany Your Butter Chicken
- What To Serve With Swiss Chicken? 6 Side Dishes You Must Try With Swiss Chicken
It has more fat than carbs, so despite the carb content in full-fat sour cream, this ingredient is still considered a keto-friendly option to substitute cream of chicken soup.
Keep in mind that only full-fat sour cream will work, not the low-fat or non-fat counterpart.
The bottom line
So we have shown you some of the best low-carb substitutes for your conventional cream of chicken soup.
We hope with this information, you can be more comfortable when making dishes that call for cream of chicken soup without worrying about it will kick you out of a keto diet.
Among a homemade cream of chicken soup with keto-friendly ingredients, plain Greek yogurt, and full-fat sour cream, what do you like the most?
As a affiliate, we may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases if you click to Amazon from our site & choose make a purchase. Last update on 2022-08-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API