In recent years, Mangalitsa has become the most sought-after pig in North America because this kind of pork is packed with many health benefits and flavorful taste.
However, it is not always that you can find a package of Mangalitsa pork on the market.
Finding one near you might even be tricky, so we have compiled a list of places where you can find Mangalitsa pork to make your search easier.
Find out more by reading on.
What are Mangalitsa pork?
Mangalitsa pork is the meat production of a breed of hog called Mangalitsa, or sometimes referred to as Mangalica, which is a cross between Berkshire and Hungarian pigs that offers better flavor than other regular breeds.
Regarding the Mangalitsa pigs, they are relatively rare with extra-thick skin and long, curly hair.
This results in the pork with a high fat content and the meat comes in a variety of colors from pink to deep red.
It has unique and rich flavors because the pigs are fed on pasture and acorns in the woods.
Because of these reasons, Mangalitsa pork is so popular to be served in high-end restaurants and some specialized butcher shops.
How many calories are in Mangalitsa pork?
The amount of calories that are found in Mangalitsa pork will vary depending on what the cut is.
However, in general, Mangalitsa pork provides a little fewer calories than regular pork.
- Where To Buy Castleberry Bbq Pork Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
- Chow Mein Pork Vs Lo Mein Pork: What’s The Difference?
- Female Vs Male Pork: What’s The Difference?
- Where To Buy Pork Fat Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
- 5 Best Pork For Green Chili: How Do You Choose Pork For Making Green Pork Chili?
On average, 100 grams of Mangalitsa pork contains 272 calories, while it is almost 300 calories for the conventional counterpart.
According to the research of the College of Agriculture of Auburn University, Mangalitsa pork is considered to have higher good fatty acids, which are scientifically known as monounsaturated fat, lower in saturated fats, making it a healthier type of pork to consume.
How to choose the best Mangalitsa pork?
Choosing Mangalitsa pork is not a trick, but it still requires your attention to pick the best cut among a variety of Mangalitsa pork cuts out there.
If you haven’t had any experience in purchasing Mangalitsa pork before, we are here to help.
Below are some tips for you to choose the best Mangalitsa pork on the market:
1. The best Mangalitsa pork should have a dark color with an oily texture and high fat content
Mangalitsa pork has a darker color than regular pork.
At first glance, you might think it is a kind of red meat like beef.
A fresh cut of Mangalitsa pork will have an oil texture so when you give it a touch, you can feel a bit sticky in your fingers.
In addition, you should opt for the cut of Mangalitsa pork that contains more fat so that your dish will be richer and more flavorful.
2. There should be no visible blood spots or discolorations on the meat
- Veal Vs Pork: What’s The Difference?
- 4 Best Pork For Enchiladas: How Do You Make Pork Enchiladas Better?
- The 6 Best Pork Cuts For Your Stew Recipes
- Pork Demi-glace Substitutes: What Can You Use In Place Of Pork Demi-glace?
- What Is The Best Side Dish To Serve With Pork Pernil? 7 Ways To Round Out Your Pork Pernil
Besides the reddish color that resembles red meat, the Mangalitsa pork should not have any weird spots or discoloration.
If you consume Mangalitsa pork that has at least one of the aforementioned identifications, there is a high chance that you can get a foodborne illness.
3. Buy Mangalitsa pork from a reputable store
Since Mangalitsa pork is sold at a higher price, you should look for a reliable store to buy it to not waste money on the regular counterpart.
You can even call the butcher ahead to ask for a desired cut.
Where to buy Mangalitsa pork?
Despite the less popularity of Mangalitsa pork compared to regular pork, you can still find this type of Hungarian pork on the market.
Here are some places where you can purchase Mangalitsa pork in the United States.
1. Specialized butcher shops
Buying Mangalitsa pork from a reputable butcher shop in your area is the fastest and easiest way.
You can find the freshest cuts of Mangalitsa pork here at a reasonable price.
They might not have Mangalitsa pork every single day, so you can call them ahead and ask for this kind of pork’s availability.
2. Grocery store and supermarket
- Pork Vs Beef Nutrition: What’s The Difference?
- 4 Best Pork Cuts For Oven Roast: What Cuts Of Pork Are Best For Oven Roast?
- Where To Buy Pork Leg Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
- What Is The Best Side Dish To Serve With Pork Escalopes? 6 Amazing Companions To Pork Escalopes
- What To Serve With Pork Braciole? 7 Ideas For The Best Pork Braciole’s Side Dishes
In the meat section of most grocery stores or supermarkets like Costco, Walmart, or Kroger, you can buy Mangalitsa pork almost anytime.
The price for Mangalitsa pork is usually higher in these places compared to a local butcher shop, so consider where you would want to buy this amazing type of pork from.
After reading this article, we believe that many of you are on the hunt for Mangalitsa pork.
We hope this list of stores and restaurants will help.
There’s a lot to love about Mangalitsa pork, from its health benefits to its flavor profile.
But if you can’t find it in your local grocery store or butcher shop, don’t worry, there are still other places where you can buy Mangalitsa at an affordable price, just head a little further out of your neighborhood and you can find it in bigger supermarkets.
As a affiliate, we may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases if you click to Amazon from our site & choose make a purchase. Last update on 2022-08-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API