In today’s society, it seems difficult to find humanely-raised pork.
The majority of American pigs are raised in factory farms and put on a diet that includes antibiotics, hormones, and a host of other unnatural substances.
If you’re looking for where to buy humanely-raised pork or if you want more information about these crucially important differences between traditional and organic farming practices then keep reading!
What is humanely-raised pork?
Humanely-raised pork is a term coined by the Humane Society of the United States to describe animals (pigs in this case) that have been raised on pasture and allowed to roam freely.
The benefits of humanely-raised pork are hotly contested.
Some believe that they taste better and are healthier than conventionally raised pigs because they have more room to move around and their diet consists primarily of fresh grasses instead of cornmeal.
Humanely-raised pork has a darker color than regular pork, and its taste also slightly differs from the conventional counterpart.
If the factory farmed pork sometimes has a bland and acidic taste, humanely-raised pork is sweeter and richer by containing a higher amount of Omega-3 fatty acids.
How many calories are in humanely-raised pork?
Generally speaking, humanely-raised pork and regular pork provide a similar amount of calories to our body.
There are around 200 calories found in 100 grams of humanely-raised pork.
However, this number can be slightly different depending on what cut you are working with.
But the key difference doesn’t lie on the calories, but other essential nutrients instead.
- The 6 Best Pork Cuts For Your Stew Recipes
- What Is The Best Side Dish To Serve With Pork Skewers? 6 Amazing Ideas To Serve Up Your Pork Skewers
- What Is The Best Side Dish To Serve With Pork Marsala? 7 Ideas To Complement Your Pork Marsala
- Where To Buy Pork Brain Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
- Wild Boar Vs Pork Meat: What’s The Difference?
Humanely-raised pork is a rich source of protein, Omega-3 fatty acids, and antioxidants like Vitamin E or beta-carotene.
Therefore, consuming this kind of organic pork will not only benefit our inner health but also improve our outer look.
How to choose the best humanely-raised pork?
As already mentioned, humanely-raised pork has long been known as a healthier option than the conventional pork that is produced from commercial-raised pigs.
Although this kind of pork is generally better than regular pork, you can still choose the best among a variety of types of pork out there.
1. Buy humanely-raised pork from a reputable store with an USDA label
Humanely-raised pork is normally sold in less quantity, moreover, due to the higher-quality meat, it is more expensive than regular pork.
So unless you find a reputable store to buy this kind of meat, you are likely to pay more just to buy regular pork through the tricks of many sellers.
In addition, humanely-raised pork is regulated by USDA so on the package of this type of pork, there should be a label from this organization to certify the quality of the meat.
2. Choose the cut of humanely-raised pork that is fresh and darker in color
To identify if the humanely-raised pork cut is fresh or not, look at its texture and color.
The fresh humanely-raised pork should have a bright reddish color, which is darker than regular pork.
- What To Serve With Cuban Pork? 7 Delicious Side Dishes To Accompany Your Cuban Pork
- What To Serve With Pork Kabobs? 7 Side Dishes To Go Along With Pork Kabobs
- Why Does Pork Smell Like Fish? 3 Ways To Know If Pork Gone Bad
- Where To Buy Pork Jowl Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
- Vegan Substitutes For Pork: 6 Best Pork Substitutes For Vegetarians
It shouldn’t look dull or too dry, but oily and firm instead.
You can also choose your favorite cut depending on how much fat you want.
Pork belly will be fattier than the cuts from the loin or shoulder sections.
Where to buy humanely-raised pork?
Humanely-raised pork meat is less common, but you can still find some at the following places:
1. Farmers’ markets
There are some farms throughout the country that apply the humane raising method to raise their pigs without a cage or shelter.
Sometimes, they sell the pigs in the farmers’ markets, which are not held every day in a year.
So once you have a chance, contact them and ask ahead for the next time if they have high-quality humanely-raised pork.
2. Grocery stores or supermarkets
You can also find humanely-raised pork in the meat section of some grocery store or supermarket.
You better do some research before heading to these places to make sure if they are stocking this wonderful pork on the shelf.
Many high-end restaurants in the country serve humanely-raised pork dishes, and some even sell fresh cuts of this kind of pork.
- Sweet And Sour Chicken Vs Pork: What’s The Difference?
- Where To Buy Rack Of Pork Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
- 5 Best Pork For Roasting: What Is The Best Cut Of Pork To Roast?
- Where To Buy Mangalitsa Pork Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
- 4 Best Pork For Pot Roast: What Is The Best Cut Of Pork For Pot Roast?
Depending on your preference, you can choose to order the signature pork dish from the restaurant or buy some raw cuts to cook in your own kitchen.
If you are looking for a way to get your hands on some organic pork, humanely-raised pork should be one of the priorities.
Whether you want skinless bacon or just humanely raised piglets, we’ve got it covered.
Where are you located?
Head out to the nearest local butcher shop to check the availability of humanely-raised pork and if they don’t have any, try going further to a big supermarket like Costco, Whole Foods, or Walmart.
Hope you will find out soon and create the best dish ever from this amazing ingredient.
As a affiliate, we may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases if you click to Amazon from our site & choose make a purchase. Last update on 2022-08-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API