Chicken backs are a great source of protein and minerals, and the best part is they are an inexpensive option for cooking.
But where to buy chicken backs?
If this is also one of your questions, keep reading to find out the answer in this article.
What are chicken backs?
Chicken backs are the core of the chicken that is left after the primal meat cuts like wings, legs, and breasts are removed.
Since they do not contain as much meat left, chicken backs are sold at a much lower price compared to other meat cuts.
Chicken backs are perfect for making soup or in stewing recipes because they add flavor and texture to the liquid dish.
When you don’t feel up for anything heavy in carbs or proteins from other sources like chicken breast or thighs, chicken backs come up as a great alternative.
A hot soup of chicken backs that are stewed for a long period of time with various kinds of veggies will be perfect for a cold day not only because of its deliciousness but also its nutrient fact.
Chicken backs are also packed with an adequate amount of protein and minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and selenium.
Make sure to discard the first water when boiling chicken backs as soon as it starts getting dirty.
If you blanch it for too long, the flavor will transfer to the liquid and you are going to remove all that treasure.
How many calories are in chicken backs?
- 5 Mouthwatering Ways To Serve Chicken Kiev
- 3 Best Chicken Marinade For Oven Cooking: What Is The Best Marinade For Chicken In The Oven Roasting Recipe?
- 5 Best Wines To Serve With Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Chicken Smells Like Fish: Why Does My Chicken Smell Like Fish?
- Can You Substitute Cream Of Chicken Soup With Something Healthier? 4 Options For You!
Chicken backs are medium in calories because they don’t have as much meat left.
You can also remove the skin to lower the fat and calories.
A serving size of one chicken back with skin removed (about 102 grams) will only provide you with 140 calories with 38.9% (54.3 calories) from fat.
How to choose the best chicken backs?
Chicken backs are an economical way to spice up your meal with something tasty and nutritious but still keep your weight in line.
Here are some tips to help you choose the best chicken backs every time you shop for this ingredient:
1. Choose the chicken backs that have meat and skin on them if you want a flavorful broth
Normally, there is not much meat left on the chicken backs because a skillful slaughter will cut most of the flesh out in other meat cuts like breast, wings, or thighs.
However, you can still find some backs with more meat left on them than the others, and if you are not afraid of the fat from the skin, then opt for the chicken backs with meat and skin for a flavorful soup.
2. Buy the whole chicken to save money and have more options to cook it
You have two options when it comes to buying chicken backs: choose the store-bought bones in which the meat has been removed, or buy the whole chicken and divide it into different cuts and use the backs after you remove the meat by yourself.
- Where To Buy Marinated Chicken Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
- What To Serve With BBQ Chicken Sliders? 7 Mouth-watering Side Dishes To Pair With Bbq Chicken Sliders
- 7 Delicious Accompaniments For Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- 5 Best Side Dishes For Chicken Scarpariello
- Chicken Chop Suey Vs Chicken Chow Mein: What’s The Difference?
By sticking with the second option, you will not only save money indeed but also have more space for your creativity to create various dishes from different cuts of the chicken.
Besides the chicken backs, you can also toss in the soup pot chicken feet or neck for a more flavorful broth.
Where to buy chicken backs?
Chicken backs used to be discarded in the past because they found no use after the meat was removed.
However, today, you can buy chicken backs to make a delicious soup in the following places:
1. Local butcher
Even if they don’t carry chicken backs at a local butcher shop, you can ask the butcher to save some for you after slaughtering the next chickens.
If you know the butcher, they can even give chicken backs to you for free.
2. Grocery store or supermarket
In some grocery stores or supermarkets across America, you can find chicken backs sold fresh or frozen.
Always check the quality of the backs and avoid the package that has freezer burn.
Chicken backs can also be found from many online retailers.
- Where To Buy Chicken Neck Near Me: The Only Place You Need To Go For Chicken Necks!
- The Ultimate Guide To Fried Vs Baked Chicken: What’s The Difference?
- What To Serve With Green Chicken Chili? 6 Side Dish Recipes To Pair With Your Green Chicken Chili
- What To Serve With Monterey Chicken? 6 Side Dish Ideas To Complement Your Monterey Chicken
- What To Serve With Chicken Enchilada Casserole? 6 Delicious Side Dishes To Pair With Chicken Enchilada Casserole
You can use their websites to check the availability of this ingredient before heading to the store too.
In case you don’t have time to go out, just simply make an online purchase after a few clicks, but don’t forget to read all the feedback from other customers who have experience in buying from these online sellers.
Chicken backs might be discarded after the butchers get the primal meat cuts of the chicken.
However, you totally can buy some chicken backs from a local butcher or even in a supermarket at a very reasonable price.
There are also many online retailers that sell organic and free-range chicken backs if you live outside an area where they are available.
Let’s grab a bulk order of chicken backs if you have chances and make the best soups from them whenever you like.
As a affiliate, we may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases if you click to Amazon from our site & choose make a purchase. Last update on 2022-08-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API