Pulled pork is a popular dish that can be served on its own or as a staple ingredient in many recipes.
It is easy to substitute pulled pork with other kinds of pulled meat, but what about vegan alternatives?
Let’s find the answer in this article.
What is pulled pork?
Pulled pork (or shredded pork) is a type of cooking pork that is pulled apart by hands or forks, hence the name.
The most common cut to make pulled pork is pork shoulder, or sometimes Boston butt because they have a perfect ratio of marbling fat and a tough texture that is perfect for slow-cooking methods.
Pulled pork is typically featured in a Southern dish that often includes a barbecue sauce, onions, and other spices to serve between buns, toast, in tacos, burritos, or on top of rice.
Pork is often roasted, baked, or braised before being pulled, so that the resulting dish is juicy and tender, making it perfect for even your kids and the elderly in your family.
Can you substitute pulled pork with vegan alternatives in cooking recipes?
Typically, pulled pork can be easily replaced with other ingredients, even meat-based or plant-based.
You just need something that can be shredded into small pieces or sticks to resemble pulled pork.
The flavor or texture might not be exactly like real pork, but it doesn’t mean that you won’t have a delicious dish and get sufficient protein and other nutrients.
Vegan substitutes for pulled pork are what many people are looking for because they are supposed to be much healthier for us due to the low and healthier fat content as well as being packed with more fiber and vitamins.
- What Dessert To Serve With Pulled Pork Sandwiches? 5 Dessert Ideas To Finish Your Meal With Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Chopped Vs Pulled BBQ Pork: What’s The Difference?
- What To Serve With Hawaiian Pulled Pork? 6 Side Dishes To Go With Your Hawaiian-style Pulled Pork
- 6 Perfect Side Dish For Your Smoked Pulled Pork
- What To Serve With Pulled Pork And Coleslaw? 5 Side Dish Ideas To Serve With Your Pulled Pork And Coleslaw
What vegan substitutes can you use in place of pulled pork?
If you are wondering what vegan-friendly ingredients can be used in place of pulled pork, check our list below:
1. Pulled jackfruit
Jackfruit is one of the common kinds of fruit that is often used to work as vegan meat.
Jackfruit is native to tropical regions like Asia, Africa, or South America.
This fruit has a meaty texture that is easily shredded into pieces like pulled pork.
Jackfruit has a sweet fruity taste, but it can greatly absorb the flavors from savory spices and other ingredients that it is cooked with.
2. Pulled mushrooms
Pulled mushrooms are also a great vegan substitute for pulled pork.
Oyster mushrooms are the most common type of mushrooms used to replace meat.
Mushrooms have a meaty texture, so they can be easily pulled to resemble pulled pork.
- What Buns To Serve With Pulled Pork? 7 Types Of Buns To Serve With Pulled Pork
- What To Serve With BBQ Pulled Pork? 6 Side Dishes That Are Perfect To Be Served With Your Bbq Pulled Pork
- What To Serve With Pulled Pork Sandwiches? 7 Delicious Side Dish Recipes To Serve With Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- 5 Best Dishes To To Serve With Pulled Pork
- Pulled Pork Vs Pulled Beef: What’s The Difference?
However, keep in mind that mushrooms have a special umami taste, so make sure you and your family enjoy this new flavor instead of the conventional porky taste.
Tofu is an excellent and affordable ingredient that can be used to substitute for pulled pork.
This soy-based item can come in different textures, from soft to very firm.
If you use soft tofu, it should be fried to become firmer to make it easier to slice into thin pieces.
On the other hand, extra firm tofu is easier to cut into strips from scratch before being cooked in your recipe.
4. Shredded carrots and onions
You can also use a mixture of shredded onions and carrots to replace pulled pork.
Carrots and onions are two common vegetables that can be easily found in any cuisine in the world.
- What Appetizer To Serve With Pulled Pork Entree? 6 Appetizer Recipes To Start Your Meal With Pulled Pork
- 5 Best Dishes To Serve With Pulled Pork Stuffed Potatoes
- 6 Best Pulled Pork Cookbooks For Competition-worthy Barbecue? It Starts With These Books!
- What To Serve With Leftover Pulled Pork? 5 Side Dish Recipes To Serve With Your Leftover Pulled Pork
- What To Serve With Pulled Pork Stuffed Potatoes? 6 Delicious Side Dishes To Go With Pulled Pork Stuffed Potatoes
They are inexpensive, rich in vitamins and minerals, and have a great flavor even when eating raw.
However, they are not a rich source of protein.
Therefore, if you want to be fuller, it is best to combine these ingredients with other high-protein options in your meal.
The bottom line
Pulled pork is great for people of all ages, but it is not the only choice.
If you are a vegetarian, don’t worry, we have compiled a list of the best vegan substitutes for pulled pork that can satisfy even a meat lover.
The best way to figure out what works best in your next recipe in place of pulled pork is to try all of the aforementioned vegan alternatives.
As a affiliate, we may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases if you click to Amazon from our site & choose make a purchase. Last update on 2022-08-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API