Tonkatsu and chicken katsu, two dishes that sound similar, are actually made from two completely different ingredients.
If you are a fan of Japanese food, especially fried food, then carefully read this article so that you will never order the wrong dish whenever dining out in a Japanese restaurant.
What is tonkatsu?
Tonkatsu is a popular Japanese dish that originated in Osaka.
It consists of breaded deep-fried pork cutlets and is served with shredded cabbage, rice, and miso soup, or a demi-glace sauce/ curry sauce.
Tonkatsu is a Japanese word, in which “ton” means pork and “katsu”, or “katsuretsu” is derived from a Fresh word côtelette, referring to meat chop or cutlet.
You can enjoy tonkatsu as a filling for sandwiches in some places in Japan.
This Japanese delicacy can be easily made at home, bought from a restaurant or supermarket across the country.
Tonkatsu is now popular in many other parts of the world outside Japan.
What is chicken katsu?
As the name implies, chicken katsu is a variation of the traditional tonkatsu dish, in which pork is substituted by chicken.
It is quite similar to Southern fried chicken in terms of appearance.
- 5 Best Side Dishes To Serve With Chicken Waldorf Salad
- Let’s Compare Chicken And Lamb To Find Out Which One Is The Best!
- Where To Buy Grass Fed Chicken Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
- 7 Types Of Beer To Serve With White Chicken Chili
- 7 Amazingly Delicious Chicken Romano Side Dishes
You will have a crispy crust with juicy chicken meat inside.
However, in the katsu recipe, chicken is coated with panko, a popular kind of breadcrumbs with a lighter texture used in Japanese cooking.
Chicken katsu is a healthier alternative for tonkatsu because chicken has long been known as a better type of meat compared to red meat like pork or beef.
You can make this dish from chicken breast cutlets or chicken thigh cutlets with the latter version is more flavorful and a bit fattier.
Chicken katsu is served the same way as tonkatsu.
There will be shredded cabbage with some gravy or curry sauce on the same plate with the breaded fried chicken as the main character.
What are the differences between tonkatsu vs chicken katsu?
Tonkatsu and chicken katsu are two dishes that use the same cooking technique but with different ingredients.
The comparison table below will show you how tonkatsu and chicken katsu differ from each other:
|Ingredients||Pork cutlets (usually pork loin), panko, egg (optional)||Chicken cutlet (can be white meat like breasts or dark meat like chicken legs), panko, egg (optional)|
|Taste||More intense, porky||Have a taste of chicken Milder if being made from chicken breast, also flavorful if being made from chicken thigh|
|Nutrient value||Have more fat, cholesterol, iron, and zinc||Lower in fat, higher in phosphorus, magnesium, and selenium|
|Popularity||More popular, the traditional recipe is made with pork||Also popular but was created later as a healthier option for tonkatsu|
What are the similarities between tonkatsu vs chicken katsu?
Despite some key differences between tonkatsu and chicken katsu, we know that there are also numerous similarities that these two dishes share with each other:
- Where To Buy Halal Chicken Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
- What To Serve With Thai Chicken? 5 Best Side Dishes That Are Great To Serve With Thai Chicken
- Turkey vs Chicken Meat: What’s The Difference?
- Tilapia Vs Chicken: What’s The Difference?
- What To Serve With Spicy Chicken Chili? 5 Great Side Dish Recipes To Accompany Spicy Chicken Chili
1.Tonkatsu and chicken katsu are made the same way
First of all, the same cooking method is applied to either dish.
You should have the best meat cutlet (pork loin, chicken breast, or chicken thigh) on hand.
The cut should be medium, not too thin or thick.
Season the meat with some salt and pepper before coating it with panko so that your meat will end up more flavorful.
You can dredge the cutlet into the flour, egg, and then coat it with panko in the last step for a crunchier and thicker crust.
After that, put it in hot oil and fry until it turns brown and crispy.
2. Tonkatsu and chicken katsu are typically served with shredded cabbage and some sauce
The two dishes are served in the same way as well.
A deep-fried bread cutlet will be cut into bite sizes, placed on the plate with some shredded cabbage and some sauce, usually the sweet and sour tonkatsu sauce contained in a small bowl or drizzled over the meat.
3. Both dishes are popular in Japanese cuisine as well as worldwide
Tonkatsu and chicken katsu can be found in any Japanese restaurant or supermarket.
They are also getting more well-known in the world, from other countries in Asia as well as Europe or America.
- What Vegetables To Serve With Chicken Tetrazzini? 6 Ideas On The Best Veggies To Pair With Chicken Tetrazzini
- 7 Best Drinks To Pair With White Chicken Chili
- Spatchcock Chicken Vs Whole Chicken: What’s The Difference?
- Why Does My Cooked Chicken Smell Like Vinegar? Tips To Remove The Taste Of Vinegar From Cooked Chicken
- Where To Buy Chicken Caesar Salad Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
Which one is better?
|Product Comparison||Bull Dog Tonkatsu Sauce||Otafuku Tonkatsu Sauce for Japanese Cutlets (14 Ounces)|
|Rating||(based on )||(based on )|
|Latest Price||Check Current Price||Check Current Price|
In conclusion, tonkatsu and chicken katsu are two very similar dishes in Japanese cuisine.
The only difference is one features pork while the other uses chicken, which results in the difference in their taste and nutritional content.
In general, chicken katsu is healthier, but it might be less flavorful than the traditional version that is made from pork loin.
You can give both a try and decide your favorite recipe.
And don’t forget to order the right dish if you are planning to dine out in a Japanese restaurant nearby.
As a affiliate, we may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases if you click to Amazon from our site & choose make a purchase. Last update on 2022-08-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API