10 Side Dishes That Will Make Your Stir Fry Beef Taste Even Better
Chinese stir fry beef is a classic and versatile dish that’s good for an easy dinner on any night.
I'm an experienced food writer and passionate cook. My website, Cookindocs.com, features accessible, informative, and engaging content with quality recipes and articles that are thoroughly researched and enjoyable to read. You can trust my expertise with 8 years of experience in the field. Learn more about me and my work on this website, and check out my featured articles on TastingTable, Mashed, and 5-Minute Crafts. Read more about me HERE.
If you’re wondering what to serve with it, you’ve come to the right place.
We’ve gathered up some of our favorite dishes to eat with Chinese-style stir fry beef so you can get cooking.
[amazon fields=”B07BDW89ZJ” value=”thumb” image=”1″ image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
Coconut rice is another good side dish for beef stir fry.
It can be a bit tricky to make, but it’s worth it.
It’s made with coconut milk, which gives the rice a very distinct flavor and texture.
This dish will be different from jasmine rice, but still delicious!
When you’re ready to prepare your coconut rice:
- Combine 2 cups of water with 1 cup of sweetened shredded coconut in a saucepan over medium heat until boiling; then reduce heat to low and simmer covered until all liquid has been absorbed by about half (about 15 minutes).
- Add 1 cup brown or jasmine rice and cook according to package instructions; then fluff with a fork before serving alongside your beef stir fry
[amazon fields=”B08B217JP5″ value=”thumb” image=”1″ image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
Jasmine rice is the perfect side dish for beef stir fry.
It’s a fragrant long grain rice that pairs well with the tender beef, creating a meal that’s light and flavorful.
Jasmine rice is also a great source of protein, so you’ll be satisfied when you eat it!
Steamed White Rice
[amazon fields=”B003U97L1Y” value=”thumb” image=”1″ image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
If you’re going to make a stir fry, it might as well be served with rice.
You can serve your beef or chicken on top of a bed of steamed white rice for a complete meal and one that is sure to please everyone.
Here are some tips for preparing the perfect batch:
- Use long-grain white rice (you can also use brown).
- It’s the easiest kind to find and has been around the longest period of time.
- Wash and rinse the rice until the water runs clear, then drain in a colander before cooking.* Place 1 cup uncooked white long-grain rice per person in your pot or pressure cooker.* Add 2 cups water per cup of uncooked rice (i.e., 2 cups total) plus ½ teaspoon salt if desired.* Bring mixture to boil over high heat; reduce heat until liquid boils gently.* Cover tightly; cook until all water is absorbed (about 15 minutes).
- If using an electric stovetop cooker, turn off heat at this point; let stand covered without peeking for 10-15 minutes before serving hot from pot or scooping out onto plate with spatula.* If using nonstick pots/pans coated with oil spray instead of nonstick spray such as Pam®, add about ¼ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil into pan along with raw veggies right before turning on heat source so they will have enough fat content upon cooking time ends up being less time than usual due there being less moisture than usual inside pan otherwise would happen due lack any kind added more fat.”
[amazon fields=”B082KJBTW3″ value=”thumb” image=”1″ image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
While quinoa is an excellent dish to serve with stir fry beef, it can also be a great accompaniment to other Chinese staples.
For example, if you’re making one of your favorite Chinese recipes for dinner tomorrow night and have some leftover quinoa on hand, try adding some coconut milk and tossing it with some fresh greens for an easy lunch or side dish.
If you’re not sure how to cook quinoa at all yet (which is totally understandable), here’s a simple tutorial:
- Rinse the quinoa several times until the water runs clear.
- Then combine quinoa with 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pan with lid (but don’t put on tight), let cook for 15 minutes until all liquid has been absorbed by the grains.
- Turn off heat and let sit covered another 10 minutes before fluffing with fork before serving alongside chicken fried rice or soup noodles!
[amazon fields=”B07RXWX77H” value=”thumb” image=”1″ image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
Broccoli is a good source of vitamin C, vitamin K, and folate.
It’s also rich in fiber, vitamin A, and vitamin B6.
Broccoli contains carotenoids like lutein and zeaxanthin that help protect against cataracts.
Vitamin C plays an important role in wound healing and immune function.
It may improve symptoms of asthma by thinning mucous secretions in the lungs, helping to reduce inflammation caused by asthma attacks.
Folate helps produce red blood cells and keeps homocysteine levels low (high levels are linked to heart disease).
- Beef Tastes Like Liver: How To Remove The Liver Taste In Your Beef?
- 3 Best Beef Cuts For Massaman Curry: How To Find The Best Beef For Massaman Curry
- 6 Side Dishes That Perfectly Accompany Beef Kebabs
- 6 Best Beef For Burgers: The Key To Having The Best Beef Burgers
- 5 Best Beef For Casseroles: What Are The Best Cuts Of Beef For Casseroles?
Homocysteine can damage arteries over time; consuming adequate amounts of folate may help prevent blood clots that could lead to strokes or heart attacks
Green Bean Salad
[amazon fields=”B078J11TLH” value=”thumb” image=”1″ image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
A green bean salad is the perfect side dish for stir fry beef.
You can cook your green beans until they are tender, then add a dressing of your choice.
Add chopped nuts or croutons and chopped vegetables such as onions, peppers and mushrooms.
If you’re feeling creative, add chopped herbs such as parsley, basil or cilantro!
Also consider adding chopped fruit such as apples or pears!
Another option is to add cheese which will complement the beef well because it has strong flavor that contrasts nicely with the more subtle flavor of beef.
Last but not least: try adding meat or seafood like shrimp or scallops – this will make your meal extra filling!
Green or Yellow Beans
[amazon fields=”B08CCJRPZX” value=”thumb” image=”1″ image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
Green or yellow beans are a good source of fiber, so they’ll help you feel full after dinner.
You can steam them until they’re just slightly tender, then saute them with the beef stir fry.
Alternatively, if you prefer to serve your green bean side dish cold and crispier than steamed (or if you’re making this recipe ahead of time), just blanch the beans in boiling water for two minutes before serving.
Either way, they’ll be delicious!
[amazon fields=”B07F46X8R1″ value=”thumb” image=”1″ image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
Pasta salad is a great side dish to serve with stir fry beef.
It’s an easy and versatile dish that can be made with a variety of pasta shapes, toppings, dressings and vegetables.
- Spaghetti noodles with cherry tomatoes and feta cheese
- Penne pasta mixed with chicken breast meatballs in a rosemary balsamic dressing
- Bowtie pasta tossed with grilled vegetables such as bell peppers and mushrooms in a garlic butter sauce
[amazon fields=”B074H7KL3S” value=”thumb” image=”1″ image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
Steaming is a healthy way to cook vegetables.
It’s easy, and it keeps the vitamins in your veggies intact.
You can steam vegetables in a steamer or you can use a pot with a steamer insert.
If you have a large amount of broccoli, carrots, green beans or asparagus that need cooking at once then consider making them as part of your stir fry meal because they pair well with beef.
Steaming them first will make them tender but still crispy on the outside while retaining their bright colors and flavors.
Cucumber Salad with Fresh Herbs
[amazon fields=”B007K83C46″ value=”thumb” image=”1″ image_size=”large” image_align=”center”]
Cucumber salad is a great way to add flavor and texture to your meal, while also cooling down your mouth from spicy food.
While you can make this dish using any type of cucumber, the English variety is typically used because it’s seedless.
But if you can’t find an English cucumber, fear not!
A regular cucumber will work just fine too.
To start making your salad:
- Slice the cucumbers into 1/4-inch thick slices and place them in a large bowl filled with cold water for 10 minutes to remove some of their bitterness.
- Drain well before adding other ingredients.* If desired, cut up the herbs (I like using mint leaves) and combine with lemon juice and olive oil.* Pour over sliced cucumbers; toss gently until combined.* Serve immediately or cover tightly with plastic wrap before refrigerating until ready to serve (up to 2 hours).
There’s something so satisfying about putting together a meal that consists of a bunch of different, tasty dishes.
Whether you’re picking up some fresh, hot spring rolls or dipping your fingers into a bowl of dim sum, it feels like home cooking in the best way possible.
As a connoisseur of Asian cuisine myself, I know how hard it can be to find recipes that are just as delicious as what you might get at a restaurant.
Hopefully, this article has helped inspire some ideas on new dishes you can try at your next family dinner night!
- Beef Overheated Tastes Like Lamb: Is It Safe To Eat Beef That Tastes Like Lamb When Being Overheated?
- Burgers Smell Like Pork: Why Does My Beef Burger Smell Like Pork?
- 6 Best Beef For BBQ: The Secret To Having The Best Bbq Party
- 5 Simple Tricks To Make Your Gravy Taste Amazing (No Matter What You’re Cooking)
- 8 Tasty Side Dishes To Serve With Beef Chili