The Portuguese are well known for their love of chicken, and we can’t blame them!
Chicken is delicious, versatile, and perfect for any meal.
But what do you serve with it?
You may be stuck in a rut with old-fashioned chicken recipes like mashed potatoes or salad.
If so, you’re missing out on the incredible flavors of Portugal!
Here are some easy ways to spice up your next meal by serving it alongside one of our favorite foods: Portuguese chicken!
Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- Includes one 19 oz. bag of Alexia Crispy Seasoned Potato...
- Creatively crafted, chef-inspired potato puffs seasoned with...
- All of the goodness of a loaded baked potato in a crispy...
Potatoes are a great side to serve with Portuguese chicken.
The best potatoes to use are Yukon gold.
You’ll need about five pounds of potatoes, which is about 20 large potatoes or 40 small ones.
Remove the skins from the potatoes, chop them into bite-sized chunks, and place them in a large pot or roasting pan.
Drizzle them with olive oil (just enough to coat) and toss well so that all the pieces are coated evenly.
Add salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste and rosemary leaves crushed between your fingers until they resemble small crumbs (about 1 tablespoon).
Mix everything together.
Spread out your seasoned fries on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil (you could have one sheet per person if you’re serving four people).
Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes until golden brown!
- This Spanish Rice Pilaf is a zesty, mildly spicy dish made...
- Made with 100% natural, certified kosher ingredients
- Cooks in under 30 minutes
Portuguese rice is a simple side dish that has been served in southern Portugal since the time of the Moors.
- What To Serve With A Creamy Chicken Casserole? The Top 6 Side Dishes To Accompany Your Creamy Chicken Casserole
- What To Serve With Mediterranean Chicken Pita Pockets? 5 Side Dish Ideas To Elevate Your Mediterranean Chicken Pita Pockets
- 5 Best Rosemary Substitutes In Chicken Dishes: The Best Rosemary Substitutes That Can Elevate Your Chicken
- Where To Buy Stewing Chicken Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
- What To Serve With Chicken Pasta Bake? 6 Best Side Dishes To Serve With Chicken Pasta Bake
The origins of this recipe are unclear, but it’s likely that it was brought to Portugal by Arab traders who settled on the Algarve coast in southern Portugal during the eighth century.
The main ingredients for making this dish include olive oil, garlic, and onions—three staples of Portuguese cuisine.
The rice is boiled in salted water until tender and then drained; afterwards you add your other ingredients (from mild peppers to spicy chorizo) before returning it to heat for another few minutes until hot throughout.
It’s easy enough for anyone looking for a quick meal or side dish after work!
You can also make this dish with beef instead of chicken if desired: just cook beef cubes along with your onion mixture before adding garlic-infused olive oil and other spices such as cumin powder or turmeric powder instead of paprika powder (which contains paprika).
- One 15-ounce can of Happy Belly Dark Red Kidney Beans
- A great addition to any chili, rice or salad recipe
- Dark and full-bodied bean flavor with a hint of sweetness
If you’re looking for a delicious, hearty side dish to pair with your portuguese chicken, check out this simple recipe for slow cooked beans.
The beans are cooked in the crockpot until tender and have added flavor from the spices and sauces used in the slow cooker.
It doesn’t get much easier than this!
In a large bowl or pot, pour in 3 cans of beans (about 2 1/2 cups).
Rinse them under cold water before adding them to the bowl or pot.
Add salt and pepper to taste as well as any other spices like cumin or chili powder that you’d like.
Stir well until all ingredients are completely covered with seasoning mixture.
Add chopped bacon or sausage if desired – I recommend starting with half a pound per person but you can add more depending on your personal tastes!
- Does Chicken Make Your Breast Bigger? Can I Increase My Cup Size By Eating Chicken Regularly?
- Country Fried Steak Vs Fried Chicken: What’s The Difference?
- 4 Best Chicken For Tacos: Is There A Better Cut Of Chicken For Tacos?
- Baked Vs Fried Chicken Wings: What’s The Difference?
- 6 Must-try Dishes To Serve With Chicken Florentine Casserole
If possible though it’s best not too much because otherwise it will take away from those wonderful flavors coming out of your crockpot too soon/
Now add in vegetables such as carrots or celery if desired; these will add both color and lots more flavor so make sure not miss out on this step.
- One 14 oz bag of Birds Eye Oven Roasters Seasoned Broccoli &...
- Lets you enjoy roasted seasoned vegetables without the work
- Frozen broccoli and cauliflower are seasoned with sea salt,...
Broccoli is a great side dish to serve with Portugese chicken, and it’s easy to prepare in a variety of ways.
For example, you can roast broccoli by preheating your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, slicing the florets into bite-sized pieces (about 1/2 inch thick), then tossing them with olive oil and salt before roasting until crisp-tender (about 8 minutes).
You can also make a broccoli salad by tossing the florets with celery, red onion, chopped almonds or hazelnuts, dried cranberries or raisins—as well as mayonnaise and lemon juice for extra flavor.
Finally, there are endless ways to include more vegetables in your meal: consider making easy soups such as white bean soup or vegetable tomato soup.
Or try making casseroles like this recipe for broccoli quiche from Epicurious that includes eggs along with chicken broth, milk and cheese—plus plenty of veggies!
Instant Pot Vegetables Medley
The Instant Pot Vegetables Medley is a great side dish for Portuguese chicken because it is packed with flavor, and the vegetables are tender, but not mushy.
The Instant Pot Vegetables Medley has a lot of nutrients, such as vitamins C and A, potassium, iron, calcium, and fiber.
It is also gluten-free and low in calories.
The Instant Pot Vegetables Medley is easy to make in about 30 minutes.
You can add some chicken broth for extra flavor if you like, but it tastes great without it too!
- What To Serve With City Chicken? 7 Simple But Delicious Side Dishes To Serve With Your City Chicken
- What To Serve With Mississippi Chicken? 6 Side Dishes To Elevate Your Mississippi Chicken
- Shawarma Vs Kebab: What’s The Difference?
- What To Serve With Shoyu Chicken? 5 Classic Side Dishes To Pair With Shoyu Chicken
- Broiler Chicken Vs Country Chicken: What’s The Difference?
When you make this Instant Pot Vegetable Medley, it will be a side dish that everyone will love.
It is just as good as the original recipe and tastes even better because you can use frozen vegetables in this one!
The only difference is that the frozen vegetables are already cooked when they are added to the pot.
I hope you enjoyed this article on what to serve with portuguese chicken.
Portugeuse chicken is a great option for dinner and can be served with many different side dishes.
It’s important to know that the best pairings are usually those that complement each other, rather than contrast one another.
This means that when you’re deciding which foods to serve with Portuguese chicken, it’s best if they share similar flavors or textures — such as sweet potatoes and grilled cornbreads which go together well because they both have soft textures and hearty flavors that blend well together without competing against each other in any way (such as spicy peppers paired with milder mashed potatoes).
In summary: think about how your dish will taste alongside one another before making any final decisions!
As a affiliate, we may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases if you click to Amazon from our site & choose make a purchase. Last update on 2022-08-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API