The only thing worse than running out of cheese is running out of fondue.
Here are some great ways to use leftover fondue cheese.
How to store leftover fondue cheese
If you have leftover fondue cheese, store it in your fridge, covered.
It should last for up to a week, but if you’re not going to eat it soon, cut the block into smaller pieces and freeze them in an airtight container.
Fondue cheese is a wonderful addition to many dishes—it’s delicious melted on top of veggies or potatoes, stirred into soups and sauces, and even used as the base for fondue.
It can be stored in your fridge for up to a week after opening if you cut it into smaller pieces first.
The cheese is a good source of protein, calcium, and vitamins A and D.
It also contains some phosphorus, magnesium and zinc.
Fondue cheese can be used in many different ways—it’s delicious melted on top of veggies or potatoes, stirred into soups and sauces, and even used as the base for fondue!
5 ideas for leftover fondue cheese
Use the cheese as an omelette filling
- You can add a few tablespoons of cheese to an omelette: If you’re making a standard cheese omelette, simply add the leftover fondue cheese when you’re ready to fold it up and serve.
- Use the cheese as a dipping sauce for French fries: This is one of my favorite ways to use leftover fondue—it’s so satisfying and delicious! Just warm up some fries on the stovetop or in the oven, then put out a bowl full of fondue cheese for dipping!
- Use it as a topping on pizzas (in place of mozzarella): The melty texture is perfect here, so go ahead and mix it into your pizza dough before baking if you want even more cheesy goodness in every bite.
- Stuff peppers with leftover fondue cheese (or use them as dippers): Cut off both ends of each pepper and remove seeds; then fill them with your favorite filling (we like black beans) before adding some melted leftover fondue onto top, along with any other toppings that sound good!
Add leftover fondue to a meat dish for extra flavor
If you’re not into eating your fondue as a soup, try adding it to other dishes for extra flavor.
You can use it in any recipe where you’d usually use melted cheese.
- Make a gravy: Reduce the fondue down to make a sauce for mashed potatoes or meatloaf.
- Add it to spaghetti, mac and cheese and more: Add melted fondue to your favorite comfort foods! Try making shredded cheddar-bacon macaroni or chicken-fried steak with this recipe from Bon Appetit (we recommend using Swiss cheese instead of Gruyere).
- Make meatballs: Mix leftover fondue with ground beef, roll into balls and bake until browned on both sides.
- Serve these with mashed potatoes or over pasta like polenta noodles for an easy weeknight meal that everyone loves.
- Melt the fondue over veggies: Try serving a mix of steamed broccoli, cauliflower and carrots with melted cheese.
- This makes a great side dish for pizza night! Serve it on top of seafood: Grilled shrimp are delicious with melted cheese.
Eat fondue with vegetables
Fondue is a great dish to eat with vegetables.
However, you have to choose your vegetables wisely.
Vegetables with high water content are best for this purpose.
These include cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce.
Vegetables that have a mild flavor will also work well with fondue because they won’t overpower the cheese flavor of your meal.
You can use carrots or cauliflower if you’d like something crunchy but avoid celery as it’s too strong-tasting for fondue cheese dishes.
It’s also important that your veggies be easy to eat when dipped in cheese fondue sauce because if they’re tough or stringy then it makes eating out of hand difficult.
If you’re looking for a good vegetable fondue recipe, try this one from Epicurious.
It’s simple and delicious with just enough cheese to give it a creamy texture without being too heavy or greasy.
If you’re looking for a more traditional fondue recipe, try this one from Allrecipes.
The secret to making great Swiss cheese is heating it slowly and stirring constantly so that the mixture doesn’t burn on the bottom of your pot.
Add it to pasta
Though you may be tempted to soak up any remaining fondue with a piece of bread, it can also go well with pasta.
If you make hearty meat dishes like lasagna or chicken parmesan, add some leftover cheese to them for extra flavor and richness.
You could also try eating fondue with vegetables—try making a fondue sauce by melting in your leftover cheese (and maybe some butter) over a pan of sautéed mushrooms and onions!
If you want to make a more substantial meal out of your fondue, try using it as a base for an omelette.
Just add eggs and whatever other ingredients you like—like ham and mushrooms—and cook until it’s done.
You could also try adding it to a quesadilla or even making a grilled cheese sandwich with leftover cheese from your fondue!
If you’re looking for some other ways to enjoy your leftover fondue cheese, try adding it to a salad or making a fondue sauce by melting it over sautéed mushrooms and onions.
Make a fondue sauce to go over vegetables
If you don’t want to waste the remaining cheese, simply add it to your favorite sauce.
It will thicken the texture and add a wonderful flavor that goes with any dish.
For example, if you have leftover fondue cheese in a bowl (you can even save it for later), toss with vegetables like broccoli or cauliflower.
For meat lovers, try using leftover fondue cheese on steak.
A fun twist on regular bread dip is dipping croutons into leftover fondue cheese instead of salsa or ranch dressing!
If you have leftover cheese, try adding it to your breakfast! For example, add it to scrambled eggs or omelets or even make a fried egg sandwich with Swiss fondue cheese.
So, there you have it! A few ways to use up the leftover fondue cheese once the party is over.
You can even mix and match them if you want! We hope these tips will help you make sure that your cheese doesn’t go to waste.
- 10 Delicious Cheeses That Will Take Your Charcuterie Board to the Next Level
- 10 Delicious Cheeses to Elevate Your Olive Bread Game
- Battle of the Cheeses: Comparing American Cheese and Velveeta
- 10 Cheeses That Make Hawaiian Pizza Even More Delicious
- Discover the Delicious Cheese Varieties Perfect for Chilean Empanadas!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. When you purchase an item from Amazon through one of my links, I receive a small commission at no added cost. This helps support the site!