Serving coronation chicken is a great way to show off your cooking skills and impress your guests.
But what should you serve with this dish to totally beat everyone’s taste buds?
Here are some suggestions that will complement the flavors of the chicken perfectly.
What is coronation chicken?
- ALL NATURAL: Our fresh, hand-trimmed chicken tenderloins are...
- NO ADDED HORMONES | NO ANTIBIOTICS EVER | FED A VEGETABLE &...
- 3RD PARTY HUMANE CERTIFIED: Our chickens are raised on...
Coronation chicken is a dish made of cooked chicken and curry sauce.
The curry sauce is typically made of mayonnaise, grated apple, raisins, and a variety of spices.
The dish was created for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953 and took its name from the coronation ceremony.
The recipe was published in The Times in February 1954.
Despite many options that can elevate your coronation chicken, there are only some key rules that can be considered to make sure that the side dish that you have chosen can work perfectly with this British main course:
Coronation chicken can be considered a kind of curry, therefore, it is best when served with a starchy side that can help soak up all the flavorful sauce.
These options are also filling, so you will never have to worry about getting hungry after enjoying this meal.
Another thing to keep in mind is that coronation chicken is packed with flavors, so it will work with an accompaniment that comes with a mild taste.
If you stick with a very heavy-flavored side, this combination might compete with each other, and none of the dishes turn out to be appealing at all, despite the fact that they can be very delicious on their own.
Choose something that can complement and balance the taste of coronation chicken, so your meal will be more palatable and taste good.
Now, let’s break into pieces the six side dish recipes that should be served on the same meal with your coronation chicken:
1. Steamed rice
- GREAT FOR ANY MEAL: Our instant and microwaveable rice is...
- QUICK, HEALTHY, & DELICIOUS: Each serving comes in a...
- PREMIUM INGREDIENTS, NO PRESERVATIVES: Each bowl is made...
Steamed rice is not only a good side dish for coronation chicken but also for many other meat-based and saucy dishes.
- What To Serve With Southwest Chicken? 6 Accompaniment Ideas To Serve With Southwest Chicken
- Which One Should You Choose? Pheasant Meat Or Chicken
- What To Serve With Chicken Pasta Bake? 6 Best Side Dishes To Serve With Chicken Pasta Bake
- What To Serve With BBQ Chicken Sliders? 7 Mouth-watering Side Dishes To Pair With Bbq Chicken Sliders
- What Vegetables To Serve With Piri Piri Chicken? 7 Tasting And Healthy Vegetable Dishes To Pair With Piri Piri Chicken
It has a light, fluffy texture that doesn’t overpower the delicate flavors of the chicken.
Additionally, steamed rice is a filling option that can give you some carbs to keep you full for a long time.
Steamed rice is easy to make and also very affordable, so everyone can have this side dish served with coronation chicken whenever they one.
2. Naan bread
- Brought to you by Whole Foods Market. The packaging for...
- Our Original Naan is a wholesome version of this tender,...
- An authentic Indian recipe.
Another good way to serve up and complete your coronation chicken is naan bread.
Naan is a type of Indian-style flatbread that is soft and chewy.
It’s made with flour, yogurt, baking powder, sugar, and a little oil or ghee.
The combination of ingredients makes for a delicious, slightly sweet, and fluffy bread that goes perfectly with the rich and creamy flavors in coronation chicken.
It soaks up the sauce well and can be used as a utensil to eat coronation chicken.
- Variety pack includes: 4 Farfalle, 4 Elbows and 4 Rotini
Pasta is another great side dish for coronation chicken because the two dishes have complementary flavors and textures.
The savory, creamy sauce of coronation chicken pairs well with the mild flavor of the pasta.
The good thing is that there are plenty of types of pasta and numerous ways to serve this dish.
But the result always works with dishes like coronation chicken and is a hit at any party.
- What Can I Serve With Chicken Korma? Consider 5 These Side Dishes
- Where To Buy Kfi Butter Chicken Sauce Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
- 6 Delicious Sauces To Serve With Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 8 Easy Side Dishes To Spice Up Your Chicken French
- Where To Buy Bresse Chicken Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
4. Mashed potatoes
- Creamy mashed potatoes with butter
- Ready in Minutes
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes
Mashed potatoes are a classic American side dish that works for many different meat-based dishes, including coronation chicken.
Both are creamy, flavorful, and easy to make.
The potatoes soak up the flavors of the chicken and provide a delicious contrast in textures.
This combination will be a perfect choice for a busy cook.
5. Green salad
- Usda Organic, excellent source of Vitamin K & a
There are a few reasons why green salad works well as a side dish for coronation chicken.
First, the colors complement each other nicely.
The green of the salad provides a nice contrast to the rich, creamy, and milky chicken.
Second, green salads are often light and refreshing, which can be a nice counterpoint to the heavier flavors in coronation chicken.
And lastly, many green salads include ingredients like crunchy vegetables or fruits that add texture and interest to the dish.
6. Tortilla chips
- Perfection Snacks Restaurant-style Yellow Corn Tortilla...
- Listing is for three (3) individually wrapped 12oz bags
- Gluten-Free Certified, Kosher Certified
Last but not least, serving some crispy tortilla chips on the side of your coronation chicken is a good way to enjoy this dish.
Tortilla chips are a favorite and popular snack in many Latin countries.
They also work amazingly as a side dish for many meat-based dishes.
- 6 Side Dishes To Serve With Spanish Chicken
- Where To Buy Chicken Oyster Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
- How To Keep Chicken Tender In Soup?
- 7 Types Of Beer To Serve With White Chicken Chili
- What To Serve With Chicken Potstickers? 7 Amazing Sides To Accompany Chicken Potstickers
Since coronation chicken also comes with a delicious thick sauce, it is also great to use this flavorful liquid as a dipping sauce for tortilla chips.
The crunchy texture of chips will definitely make your meal more interesting and appealing.
You can choose to make your own tortilla chips or bring some packages of store-bought tortilla chips home from a grocery store.
Coronation chicken is definitely a show-stopping dish, but it will not be complete without the perfect side dishes.
We’ve listed some of our favorites that will complement the flavors of the chicken perfectly and have your guests raving about your culinary skills.
What are you waiting for?
Pick one of these recipes to try first and wow your friends and family with an amazing feast they won’t soon forget!
As a affiliate, we may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases if you click to Amazon from our site & choose make a purchase. Last update on 2022-08-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API