Chinese-inspired food is a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables and protein.
Chicken chop suey and chicken chow mein are two popular dishes with many similarities as well as different features.
If you are still wondering what makes them different from each other, then you are in the right place.
Let’s accompany us and find the answer in this article.
What is chicken chop suey?
Chop suey is a dish that includes meat and eggs stir-fried with vegetables and cooked quickly in thickened sauce.
It has been made popular in America and other countries like Canada, India, the Philippines, and Indonesia by Chinese immigrants who wanted to recreate their favorite dish in their hometown.
Chicken chop suey is a chop suey dish that calls for chicken as the meaty ingredient.
Other variations are made from beef, pork, shrimp, or even fish).
The sauce to make chicken chop suey is thicker because it is thickened using some kind of starch, such as cornmeal.
The most popular types of vegetables that are used in chicken chop suey are bean sprouts, carrots, choy sum, onion, and celery.
A secret to make a better chicken chop suey dish is using Chinese cooking wine to cook and baking soda to tenderize the chicken.
- 5 Best Side Dishes To Serve With Thai Red Curry Chicken
- GMO Vs Organic Chicken: What’s The Difference?
- 3 Best Chicken For Fajitas: Healthier Alternatives To The Classic Beef Version
- Honey Garlic Chicken Is Not Meant To Be Eaten Alone – 4 Options To Consider
- Can You Substitute Cream Of Chicken Soup With Something Healthier? 4 Options For You!
The resulting dish is typically served over rice, or you can add cooked noodles to the mixture of vegetables and chicken while stir-frying to replicate the chicken chow mein dish.
What is chicken chow mein?
Chicken chow mein is a popular dish in Chinese and American Chinese cuisine.
It consists of egg noodles, stir-fried with vegetables, chicken, and soy sauce until the noodles are crispy.
Typically, the word “chow mein” means “stir-fry” or “fry”.
There are also many varieties of chow mein, in which the main meat ingredient can vary depending on personal preference, but commonly beef, pork, chicken, or shrimp.
There is also no fixed recipe for veggies, but the dish usually calls for vegetables that have vibrant and contrasting colors, such as carrots, green onions, bean sprouts, and bok choy or cabbage.
The resulting dish is balanced in flavor, which is sweet, salty, and a bit spicy if you like.
Chicken chow mein is traditionally served hot with a pair of chopsticks to eat.
- What To Serve With Green Chicken Chili? 6 Side Dish Recipes To Pair With Your Green Chicken Chili
- The Ultimate Guide To Fried Vs Baked Chicken: What’s The Difference?
- 5 Mouthwatering Ways To Serve Chicken Kiev
- What To Serve With Chicken Enchiladas? 6 Best Side Dishes To Go With Chicken Enchiladas
- Where To Buy Hormone Free Chicken Near Me? A Place To Purchase In Case You Can’t Find It Locally!
What are the differences between chicken chop suey vs chicken chow mein?
Chicken chop suey and chicken chow mein are two different dishes.
To make it easier for you to compare these two types of dishes, the table below will place them side by side and distinguish chicken chop suey with chicken chow mein in several main criteria:
|Chicken chop suey||Chicken chow mein|
|Origin||American Chinese and other overseas Chinese cuisines||Chinese cuisine|
|Ingredients||Chicken with different types of vegetables, eggs, and a starch-thickened sauce||Noodles, chicken, vegetables, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and spices|
|Serve||Usually over cooked rice or noodles||Served alone because the dish already consists of noodles|
What are the similarities between chicken chop suey vs chicken chow mein?
Despite some key differences in the ingredients of chicken chop suey and chicken chow mein, these two dishes also share some similarities:
1. Chicken chop suey and chicken chow mein feature chicken with a variety of vegetables and soy sauce
The only difference between chicken chop suey and chicken chow mein is that the latter dish consists of noodles.
The other ingredients of the two dishes are basically the same.
You will need chicken (either white meat or dark meat), vegetables (green onions, bean sprouts, carrots, bok choy, celery,…), and soy sauce or oyster sauce.
Some common spices used to season these dishes are garlic, ginger, sugar, Chinese cooking wine, and black pepper.
2. Chicken chop suey and chicken chow mein are popular in many cuisines outside China
One more thing that chicken chop suey and chicken chow mein have in common is their popularity.
Both are Chinese-inspired dishes that are not only famous in China but also in any overseas Chinese cuisines, especially American Chinese, Indonesian Chinese, Philippine Chinese, Canadian Chinese, or Indian Chinese cuisines.
Which one is better?
|Product Comparison||La Choy CHOP SUEY VEGETABLES Asian Cuisine 14oz (2 pack)||La Choy Chicken Chow Mein with Vegetables, 42 oz (Pack of 2)|
|Latest Price||Check Current Price||Check Current Price|
The two dishes are similar in many ways, but they also have distinctive characteristics.
- What To Serve With Swiss Chicken? 6 Side Dishes You Must Try With Swiss Chicken
- 3 Best Dishes To Serve With Tempura Chicken
- What To Serve With Coronation Chicken? 6 Must-try Side Dishes For Your Coronation Chicken
- What To Serve With Chicken Quesadillas? 6 Side Dishes You Can Eat Alongside Chicken Quesadillas
- What To Serve With Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas? 5 Best Accompaniments To Serve With Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
They both use various kinds of vegetables like cabbage and carrots with chicken and soy sauce.
Whether you prefer one dish over another may depend on your personal preference for texture or taste buds.
For example, if you want to get a fuller dish, choosing chicken chop suey to eat with rice will be better.
On the other hand, the noodles version is more suitable for a light meal.
If you would like to know which one tastes better though, feel free to try both.
As a affiliate, we may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases if you click to Amazon from our site & choose make a purchase. Last update on 2022-08-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API